Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thoughts of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

When I was a little boy of about four or five, I used to love Disney movies like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I enjoyed the songs and the creative dancing. I guess that’s not so uncommon for a little kid. But there was something about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that always freaked me out slightly; the Child-Catcher.

The Child Catcher serves the evil Baroness of Vulgaria (a country were children are imprisoned). Regardless of how brave I may have been as a five year old, the Child Catcher always scared me. Probably because he was so freaky looking with his long straight black hair, pale skin, and oddly shaped nose. He dressed all in black but darned a colorful robe to entice children.

The scene where the Child Catcher kidnaps two of the children in the story is always what frightened me most. He disguised what was a caged carriage to look like a circus carriage, like one you might see at an amusement park, to ensnare the kids. He was sneaky offering the kids sweets and goodies as he sung out to them.

You’re probably wondering, why, at the age of forty-two, would I be thinking of the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Well, that should be obvious. His funeral has been shown on just about every TV station in the country. I know what you’re thinking…”No, Tom, that’s Michael Jackson’s funeral.” But I’m here to say, I think Michael Jackson transformed himself into the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. If not, it’s a bizarre coincidence. I mean, it’s bizarre several ways. First, is the fact that when the movie came out in 1968, Michael Jackson was an impressionable nine years old. Second, is the unusual similarity in appearance. And the third weird connection would be the child molestation charges combined with the enticing Neverland ranch.

What puzzles me is our culture’s fascination with Michael Jackson. Sure, he was very talented but there many talented people on TV and radio. His music was very popular but there are other popular artists like the Beatles who I think are tied to the culture. If I’m around when Paul McCartney dies, I don’t expect around-the-clock coverage on every channel. I must be completely out of touch because I can’t think of anyone whether entertainer or world leader or anyone in between that should be covered by the media as Michael Jackson’s death has been treated. Maybe I can’t relate simply because he reminds me so much of the Child Catcher. At least I can finally put that childhood fear to rest today.

2 comments:

Teresa Silverthorn said...

Interesting comparison, I never noticed that before. But, I have to agree.

And, that Child Catcher still haunts me...

Tom Price said...

I'm with you on that.